Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Amanda Grace

I received this doll that was made to look like me when I was in my late teens. It was super fun to have, but I was obviously out of the doll make-believe stage at that time in my life. I've hung onto it for all these years because it is special to me. Unfortunately, she had a mishap involving two puppies and a couple of plastic doll limbs. Now that my daughter is turning 7, she's expressed a lot of interest in American Girl dolls and also has shown her ability to care for one (that's no small accomplishment!). I wanted to give her a new one made just for her, but it is expensive! So, I decided to give her mine! We brainstormed ideas about how to repair her. "Maybe if we put long satin gloves and buy her tall socks and boots?". I found the Doll Hospital online out of curiosity. So, we shoved her (lovingly) into a box and sent her to the UPS store. The UPS guy freaked out because he saw what was inside - due to my misplacement of our packing tape. I wonder if they take pictures of weird stuff people mail and laugh when we walk out? Hmm.
 Before we sent her off, we named her "Amanda Grace" - she never had a name before!
 Her skin was cleaned, hair brushed, and adorned with a new gown, 
hospital bracelet and socks and a ribbon in her hair.
 And new limbs! No more see-through feet and hands!
 She has a certificate of health. But she needs bed-rest and healthy food for one week.
 We had a tea party in her honor.
 Daddy played along. Only because it was our lunch and he was hungry.
 Our tea was iced for the kids.
Welcome home Amanda Grace!

No comments:

Post a Comment