Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Water Closet!

So after Wes tackled the tile in the kitchen (which is gorgeous, by the way) we really needed to jump into a project (Wes has been in school for like 7 years so is not used to idle time). So the above picture is what it used to look like. This half bath really sold me on the house but it needed a lot of work! It was very, very gross and the old man that lived here used it a lot (since it is just off the garage) but never cleaned it.... gross. Let's just say the wall was um, yellow. Ew.

I am the designated painter of the house. I am much more detail oriented than Wes and he doesn't have quite as much experience as I do with painting so this is my way of contributing to the cause. We painted the ceiling which had the original "Hollywood" style texture which is sparkly popcorn, basically. It was a pretty easy room to paint (considering it is only a handful of square feet). I chose a bright white paint for the trim and cabinet and "bone white" for the walls. All of the paint came with the house so it was totally free! Sweet!

This is Brazilian cherry hardwood floor that we inherited from a friend who put this in their old house and these were the leftovers. He put it in the old fashioned way with a hammer and nails. It looks really cool and vintage shabby chic! Thanks Thatchers!
Wes has fought the battle with this wax ring before. It seems that the second time was a charm! I had wanted a new toilet but, hey, we can't all have new toilets. I think the original is fine - all 43 years worth!
I bought this beautiful clearance faucet ($14.90!!!!!) to go in there. We have some old pipes (hello, 43 years) so it may be awhile until you see it installed. For now it is turned off and I graciously allowed my guests to use the kitchen sink to wash up. ;-)

I kinda wished I had taken a really good before picture for all of these projects.. Sorry.
The reveal picture is soon to come! It's beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment