Sunday, August 7, 2011

Baby Blues

This is us at a wedding when our first son was 4 days old. Daddy is holding him.

A few years ago, I had a really good friend who was expecting a boy about the time I was having my first son. We spent our pregnancies lamenting together (misery loves company, right?) and we talked about having babies, we even had a joint baby shower. We spent nearly the entire pregnancy at about the same stage since we were due just a week apart. After her baby was born (I was incredibly miserable and insanely jealous that whole next week and a half until mine was born) I went to visit her at home - he was a week old. I can distinctly remember feeling an overwhelming sadness so powerful that I teared up in her apartment. They were tired, the food had stopped coming from friends and the beautiful flowers that her husband had bought her had wilted and died. The newness was gone. My baby had not yet been born, but I was already mourning for the week after he'd be here.

It is now over a week after my second son was born and I hit that wall of sadness yesterday. My beautiful flowers wilted and died, my sweet baby wiggled and cried all night, the kids were bored and restless, thankfully we still have meals. I have to say I am so thankful for the Lord providing me some extra doses of happiness and contentment through this season. I am nowhere near as sad as I was last time. I am finding peace in my place as a full-time stay at home wife and mother in this short time I have it.
A week old - Photo courtesy of Daughter #2

No comments:

Post a Comment