Wednesday, May 5, 2010

What it feels to be free



For some time now I have been struggling with my health. I have been tired, lethargic, cold, irritable, had insomnia, woke up tired, had muscle aches, depression, gained weight and had some strange wrist pain. It was making it almost impossible for me to function at my normal level (I do a lot of stuff y'all, so it was bad). I am so very good at self-diagnosing myself via Google and have decided that I have some sort of hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid). I could go to the doctor and spend several hundred dollars in tests and risk them not finding anything wrong with me (my husband is living proof that it happens). I decided that, since hypothyroidism is so common and it runs in my family, that I'd take a supplement and see if that helps first. So I went to the local (and very popular) health food store called Sprouts. They had about 4 different types of Thyroid support supplements. I chose the cheap-y ones (if you call 8$ cheap) that I would take 3 times a day. I am not fond of having to remember taking them and I am definitely not fond of having to chew them, I'd rather swallow a pill. But alas, I chose the cheap-y brand and they are chewables so I guess I got what I paid for. Anyway, I have not taken them 3 times a day. I have been taking it at least once a day for about 5 days and I cannot tell you how much better I feel. I have been getting very tired at bedtime (it's a good thing) and waking up earlier feeling refreshed like I haven't in a long time. I feel happy when I wake up and have more energy. I still have some wrist pain and weakness but it is infinitely better. All of these things lead to another...


Because I feel so much better, I am learning to let go. I am learning to get on the back of Wes' motorcycle and letting myself be free (albeit, only down the alley and the next street over). I am learning to get on that ridiculously high tree swing that Wes made and trust that the rope will hold. ;-) I am learning to take the opportunity to look at new zoo animals that I have never seen in the 3 years I have had a membership and taking time to explain to the kids all about them. I am feeling more free these days and it is the perfect time of year for me to let go. I love spring!

1 comment:

  1. Amy, I am so glad that you are feeliing better, you are a very busy, involved lady with a great family to keep up with! Hope you continue to feel more free! Just Me

    ReplyDelete